Too much air in a room can attract problems, including moisture damage and potential health risks of damp and mould. If you live in an environment with high humidity levels, you may want to run a dehumidifier in your home for continuous drainage. Dehumidifiers, like the tumble dryer, are practical appliances that reduce high levels of moisture in interior spaces.
When purchasing your dehumidifier, make the right choice of size and then select a technology. Note that dehumidifiers have various principals for the moisture extraction rate from the air. This expert guide should help you make the right pick for the best dehumidifiers UK.
Best Dehumidifiers Reviews in the UK
ProBreeze Dehumidifier with Digital Humidity Display
- Extracts 20 litres of water each day, consumes low energy and has a 5.5 litre water tank that shuts off automatically once full
- Has a digital LCD screen that displays the current humidity level allowing you to control at least
- 4 modes, including auto-defrost, fan only, laundry mode and child lock
- Has an inbuilt 24-hour timer that allows you to set a turn on and turn off schedule with convenience
- Comes with an automatic humidity sensor that allows you to get settings of between 30-80 percent
- This model has inbuilt castor wheels for easier portability. It means you will not carry the dehumidifier around. One of its drawbacks is that it is heavy.
What stands out?
This is a new product from ProBreeze and is the overall best, with a 4.7-star rating from consumer reviews. It normalises the microclimate in any area like a tumble dryer does, including the basement. If you are struggling with damp and humid conditions in your basement or bathroom, this is the most effective dehumidifier.
Meaco MeacoDry ABC Range Dehumidifier
- It is energy-efficient and inexpensive to run at 2.4p p/h on 15.2p/kWh
- With its 10 litres performance, it extracts large loads of water, making it ideal for drying clothes and clearing dampness
- It includes an automatic turn off, standard timer setting and defrost plus laundry, meaning it acts as an air purifier while keeping your home dry
- The dehumidifier features controls with a child lock to prevent kids from tampering with settings
What stands out?
MeacoDry ABC is ultra-quiet, the best silent compressor you will find on the market. Given that most dehumidifiers are noisy, if you are looking for a model to run all night, this could be a great choice for you. It is built to eliminate background noises common in other units. As soon as it reaches the desired humidity level, it switches to fun mode automatically.
This model has a 4.8-star rating, with only one drawback, which is the difficulty to remove the water container once the tank is full.
Pro Breeze 500ml Compact and Portable Mini Air Dehumidifier
- Lightweight, portable and compact
- Extracts 250ml moisture daily
- Has auto shut off, meaning it alerts the user once full
- Eliminates mould spores for clean indoor air, meaning it acts as an allergy relief
What stands out?
If you have a small space that you need to dehumidify, get a compact unit such as the ProBreeze 500ml compact mini. A lot of shoppers tend to ignore small tank capacity dehumidifiers such as the ProBreeze 500ml Mini. But, is that a smart shopping strategy? Well, this is a portable dehumidifier with a 4.4-star consumer rating and an extraction rate of250ml
It is ideal for extracting moisture from the bathroom, small rooms, garage, bedroom, caravan, kitchen, and many other areas around your home and is the best mini you can find today. It is so small that you will hardly notice it is in the room; measuring 8.5 inches high, 6 inches long and is the lightest, weighing only 1.5 kg.
It may not be great at eliminating major damp, but you could use it effectively in areas where you notice a build-up of mould. Because it has rubber wheels, you can place it anywhere, even on a shelf. It has a few drawbacks, however, such as its low extraction capacity and a non-adjustable solo setting.
This model uses advanced Peltier technology, allowing you to run it any time of day or night without much noise.
Meaco 20L Low Energy Dehumidifier
Best for Large Homes
- Uses only 219 watts and is a verified energy saver
- It is powerful and highly energy-efficient with its 20L capacity
- Has a 2 in 1 model, allowing the user to employ it in winter and autumn as a dehumidifier and summer/spring as an air purifier
- Has easy to glide castors
What stands out?
This is an impressive model with a 4.5-star customer rating, and 5 litres to 20-liter daily capacity, and is best for large homes. If you have large rooms with persistent dampness, this may be the model to purchase. The top of the machine has a motorised louver that leads air through an angle that is wide enough to dry clothes through a laundry mode.
In it is a HEPA filter that is necessary for fresh indoor air since it eliminates allergens and small dust particles better than any filter. The Meaco low energy, ranging from 5 litres to 20L excels at clearing moisture from the air and is a top recommendation.
This unique Meaco also has a control logic functionality, which allows a user to get the best balance between excellent water extraction rate and money-saving. Once it reaches the set humidity level, it automatically switches to fan-only mode.
Omasi Dehumidifier MiniElectric 600ml
- Has an automatic switch-off that turns yellow when water reaches maximum capacity, making it safe for indoor use
- Consumes minimal energy and laundry mode can be turned on
- Lightweight and does not take too much space
- It is removable and easy to clean
What stands out?
With a consumption level of 22.5 W and a 4 Star customer rating, the Omasi MiniElectric dehumidifier is highly efficient and has the most favourable budget. Per day, this model removes 300ml of humidity through a 600ml water tank capacity. It has a power supply of 9V 2.5A DC, covering an area of 10㎡.
This humidifier is perfect for the living room, basement, bathroom, garage, and many other parts of your house.
Kloudic Portable Mini Electric Dehumidifier
Best Caravan Dehumidifier
- Has Peltier technology that removes large volumes of water at 30 ℃
- Quiet operation and produces 33dB when running
- It uses less energy, consuming only 23W
- Has a one switch design that helps you to operate it conveniently
What stands out?
This is an electric indoor humidifier with a 600ml detachable water tank. Per day, it removes 300ml humidity. With a customer rating of 4.3, KLOUDIC is the best caravan dehumidifier you will find because it is small, compact, portable and comes at a fair price.
ElectrIQ Portable Dehumidifier
- Is relatively lightweight at 11.5kg
- Is 30 percent more energy efficient than the standard desiccant dehumidifier
- At 39dB, it can also be used overnight
- Has an inbuilt digital humidistat and fan-only mode for air circulation
What stands out?
This model is the best moisture remover and is highly efficient. Many users love it for its low price and capability despite its basic nature. At only 180 watts, the company claims that this model saves you 40 percent on energy. It extracts at least 12 litres of water per day, reducing moisture and mould in large volumes.
It is especially ideal for basements, bathrooms and large rooms because of its high extraction rate. The device is a standard dehumidifier that uses only 30 percent of energy, yet, at a considerable price. With only one touch of a button, this device keeps your house at optimal humidity levels.
It has an inbuilt light indicator that helps users see the level of a room’s humidity.
- 5.5L water tank capacity
- Removes 20L of water daily
- Has a 4-fan speed mode and an automatic humidity sensor
- Has a digital control that allows users to adjust to the desired humidity levels
What stands out?
Netta 30L portable dehumidifier is best for drying clothes and removes moisture from a room effectively. It has a customer review of 4.6 and removes up to 20L of moisture per day. Upon reaching maximum capacity, the tank automatically switches itself off. Here are the reasons to purchase it.
De’Longhi DEX12 Dehumidifier
- It is compact, portable and doesn’t occupy too much space
- Great water tank extraction capacity and removes from 5 litres up to 10 litres to 12L of moisture from water daily
- Relatively quite
- Can be connected to the sink using the provided hose, meaning you will not worry about draining it
- Uses an easy to remove dust filter
What stands out?
The De’Longhi DEX12 is rated top best dehumidifier, is the easiest to carry and has a good reputation for excellent extraction capacity. With a 4.3 rating from consumer reviews, this is a small device that can be used to remove moisture from large rooms. If you are looking for an efficient device that will not take up too much space, De’Longhi DEX12 dehumidifier may be your perfect pick.
Best Dehumidifier Buying Guide
Different dehumidifiers come with unique features. Before buying, ask yourself if there are special features that you would like to have in yours. Whether you are dealing with sweltering summer humidity or dampness in winter, the right pick will keep your home comfortable and heighten the extraction rate. Here are three elements to factor in.
Buying a model that is too small for your space may leave a dent in the already moist air, while an overly large one may lead to excessively dry air. Link the capacity of your dehumidifier best to the size of your room and the conditions of living. The size determines the number of pints your device can suck
This is how you can estimate the tax capacity size to buy for a 500 feet space. If your area has moderate dampness, look for 10 pints. For a highly damp room, get 12 pints. For a wet area, look for 14 pints and if it is too wet, pick one with 16 pints. Understand that the best dehumidifier will only work when you place it in the right space.
Refrigerant or Desiccant Dehumidifier?
Are you wondering if you should buy refrigerant or desiccant dehumidifiers? Well, refrigerant and desiccant dehumidifiers work efficiently but in different conditions. In high temperatures and moisture levels, the refrigerant dehumidifiers tend to be a little more economical than the desiccant dehumidifiers.
Because the average UK home sits at 20 degrees Celsius, the compressor/refrigerant model is always dehumidifiers best bet. In low moisture levels and temperatures, especially between 45 percent RH and 1 Percent RH, choose desiccant dehumidifiers.
Most customers are not aware of the noise a unit can produce. Understand that most of them, especially those with fans and compressors, move air through them, thereby leading to noise. However, note that every model has a unique category of noise.
Some of the best units, like the De’ Longhi DEX12 Dehumidifier – White [Energy Class A] and Meaco Meaco Dry ABC Range Dehumidifier have ratings in terms of noise reduction. The manufactures of these two devices have taken specific steps in reducing noise through a smooth-running fan or insulating the fan.
Noise in dehumidifiers is measured in decibels dB. If you are looking for adevice with noise that is controlled or minimal, look for a 40-50 dB rating.
Q: Why do I need a dehumidifier?
A: Dehumidifiers work to reduce humidity levels in the damp areas of your home and make it hospitable. Since a dehumidifier will keep your air conditioner running efficiently, it will be a necessary item for reducing energy bills.
Q: Should a dehumidifier run constantly?
A: No. All dehumidifiers at Argo shave a set humidity RH level. It means that once your unit reaches this level, it automatically turns itself off. Since it is not set to run continuously, it will sense the level of humidity and turn on and off when necessary.
Q: How big of a dehumidifier Argos do I need?
A: The right size will depend on the space in question, as explained in this review. Note that the dampness and pint capacity of your room will dictate the right size of a unit.
Q: Do the best dehumidifiers use a lot of electricity?
A: No. Normally, the average best dehumidifier consumes 15 pence per kWh. Once there is a steady flow of humidity, it will switch itself on for a period to maintain the set the right level.
The best dehumidifier removes excess moisture from a house, thereby reducing incidences of damage that could result from the growth of mould and mildew. With the large variety of models, you may be at crossroads and have a hard time figuring out which is right for your home.
By choosing a unit with a capacity that is ideal for your space, you may save on energy and get the most out of it. In our review, the clear winner is Pro Breeze unit 500ml Compact and Portable Mini Air Dehumidifier, because it is the best dehumidifier mini, easily portable, and can be of service in any room.
The second runner up is the Meaco Meaco Dry ABC Range unit because it is one of the best silent units, is energy efficient, goes at a fair price and has many features. This buying guide should help you get the best dehumidifiers for your space.